Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Reminder: Everything is global online

The old Usenet client, rn, has a warning about thinking before you post, because thousands (later, millions) of people will see your post. The web is just like that, but without the need to learn a different way to connect to the Internet. You never know where your reader may be.

A few days ago, I (in North Carolina) posted a few comments on Liz Strauss's (Chicago) blog. Now, Mirona Iliescu has written a follow-up post linking to both Liz and me from Bucharest, Romania: Yay! I'm an octagon!

I'm used to seeing international traffic on my web site, because of the international affairs site I've run since 1995. A broadband over powerline report I wrote in 2004 still gets visitors from around the world, too. But this is the first time (I think) that my blogging has generated links outside North America.

The Death of Distance, indeed.

3 Comments:

At 6/28/2006 11:56 PM, Blogger ME Strauss said...

Blogging brings all sorts of interesting new connections that take so much longer in the 3-D World. Take you and me for instance.

 
At 6/29/2006 3:15 AM, Blogger gorgeoux said...

Aside from valuable new contacts, some of which have long-term potential, blogging has brought me a serious job offer, and a not-so-serious marriage proposal, to begin with :) As well, I'm on the verge of launching online and offline projects that began when conversation initiated around one subject or another on my blog. However, distance still is an issue, at least if you consider that marriage :)

Nathan, I'd love to read about the death of distance, even so, yet the link seems broken now.

 
At 7/14/2006 11:30 AM, Blogger Nathan Gilliatt said...

The link should be fixed now. I thought I had email notification of comments turned on, but I didn't. My apologies for missing your comments until now.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home